RME License is required as an Electrician in the Philippines

There are many electricians throughout the country who are asking about this if it is really needed to get an RME (Registered Master Electrician) license as an Electrician practicing electrical engineering. 

Is PRC RME License required for an Electrician to practice electrical engineering in the Philippines?

  • The answer is YES. According to Republic Act  No. 7920, An act providing for a more responsive and comprehensive regulation for the practice, licensing, and registration of electrical engineers and electricians. In Article 3, Examination and Registration. Sec. 11. Registration and License Required – A valid certificate of registration and a valid professional license from the Commission are required before any person is allowed to practice electrical engineering in the Philippines except as otherwise allowed under this Act.

In many provinces in the country here are some of their questions; 

As an RME valid licensed holder do I need to join or register in electric cooperatives as an “Accredited Electrician” in order to practice electrical engineering in their area?

  • The answer is NO, but if you want to, you can join for your additional experience. 
    It is not mentioned in the New Electrical Engineering Law (R.A.7920). 

Is my TESDA NCII in EIM (Electrical Installation and Maintenance), a licensed as an Electrician?

  • The answer is NO. TESDA NCII Certificate is a certification that certifies an individual who meets the competency standards. This ensures the productivity, quality, and global competitiveness of the middle-level workers. TESDA has a Registry of Certified Workers which provides information on the pool of certified workers for certain occupations nationwide.

An Electrician practicing electrical engineering under the supervision of PEE (Professional Electrical Engineer),  REE (Registered Electrical Engineer), and RME (Registered Master Electrician) with a valid license is allowed by the law.    

What are the consequences of practicing electrical engineering without having a valid license from PRC (Professional Regulation Commission)?

In R.A. 7920 stated in Sec. 40. Penalty Clause. – Any person who shall violate any of the provisions of this Act shall be guilty of misdemeanor and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to a fine of not less than Ten thousand pesos (P10,000.00) nor more than Fifty

thousand pesos (P50,000.00) or imprisonment for a period not less than six (6) months nor more than five (5) years or both at the discretion of the court. 

Be a Licensed Electrician, Registered Master Electrician to practice Electrical Engineering.

Read Also: RME Exam Requirements

Scroll to Top