Do’s and Don’t’s for Electrical Safety

Do’s and don’t’s for electrical safety. Safety starts with you.
  • ‌Do use extension cords on a temporary basis.
  • ‌Do put safety covers on unused receptacles and extension cords.
  • ‌Do unplug an appliance and call an electrician if the receptacle faceplate feels hot or if there is sparking, smoke, color, or odor coming from the outlet, plug, or appliance.
  • ‌Do examine appliance and extension cords regularly for signs of wear and tear or damage to insulation. 
  • ‌Do unplug all non- essential electrical appliance when not in use.
  • ‌Do use extension cords that have been listed by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
  • ‌Don’t permanently replace substandard home wiring with extension cords.
  • ‌Don’t use extension cords that might be worn or broken, and do not connect extension cords to the wall with nails or staples.
  • ‌Avoid putting extension cords under rugs where they could be stepped on, and avoid resting anything on an extension cord.
  • ‌Don’t overload your cords with too many home appliances.
  • ‌Avoid touching any appliance that has given you an electrical shock. Disconnect or unplug first before touching.
  • ‌Place electrical equipment away from any areas where it might come into contact with water.
  • ‌Never reach into water to reach plugged-in appliances.
  • ‌Don’t place an appliance cord where it would touch a hot surface.
  • ‌Don’t ignore any exposed wiring in outlets and switches. Use the correct size faceplate.
  • ‌Avoid leaving cords hanging over countertops where kids could pull an appliance down.
  • ‌Don’t ignore switches or outlets that don’t work. Acquire the assistance of a Registered Master Electrician.
Scroll to Top